Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Aspiring to be Anna: College Packing List



Tomorrow morning bright-eyed and bushy tailed freshman are going to be rolling up at my school and will be preparing to take on their first year of college. Almost a year ago to the day exactly, I was one of them. Welcome week was one of the best weeks of my life! Exhausting, but amazing! Between late night ice cream runs, paint slip and slides, community service, and the constant irritating pull of the lanyard they enforce you to wear around your neck (I shoved mine in my pocket mostly sh) you barely had time to breathe before you had an early breakfast to attend before more activities ensued. Flash backwards a few hours and I was passed out in my car during our seventeen hour car trip. Go back a few more hours to about four a.m. when I was still packing my bags!

Let's face it. I am a huge procrastinator. If you give me a deadline, I will wait within the hour to complete it. I'm one of those perfectionist procrastinators where I feel like I don't want to start because I want everything to be just perfect but then have to throw something together anyway because I ran out of time. Whew I suck. So that's why almost a year ago today I was also weary eyed and less than bushy tailed and shoving t-shirts into a suitcase that I had already filled three sweatshirts ago. 

To save you from this and also me (because let's be real) I have put together a list that I'm going to use and maybe it'll include some things you hadn't thought of yet or you find just in time to shove that last random item you absolutely cannot live the semester without. 

Please keep in mind that your dorm may not allow you to have some of these items or you may not have the use for some of these items. For instance if you use a community bathroom at school you might not have need for a toilet cleaner. It's just a guideline that you can edit to fit your needs :)

Bathroom                        
Loofah
Towels
Hand towels
Washcloths
Shower caddy
Shower shoes
Shower curtain
Shower cap
Rug
Trashcan
Febreze
Rag towels

Bedroom
Mattress pad
Comforter
Sheets x2
Pillows
Pillowcases (double whatever you bring)
Extra blankets
Accent pillows
Favorite stuffed animals
Alarm clock
Rug
Head board 
Febreze
Door stop

School and Desk 
Lamp or clip on light
Drawer organizer
Printer
Chair
Mouse + mouse pad
Ethernet cable
Printer paper
USB drive
Calculator
Notebooks (One for each class)
Pencils 
Pens
Sharpies
Highlighters
Index cards 
Stapler + staples
Paper clips
Rubber bands
Pencil sharpener
Scissors
Folders 
Tape
Glue
Colored pencils
Crayons
Whiteout
Calender
Bookends
Bookshelf
Ruler
Hole punch 
Binders
Loose paper
Backpack
Laptop
Planner
Post it notes
Blank CDs
Power strip + Surge protector
Extension cord

Personal
Makeup 
Make up remover
Make up bag
Contacts + Case
Glasses + Case
Sunglasses
Blow dryer
Extra hair ties, bobby pins, headbands, hair bows
Brush
Straighter
First aid kit 
Medicine 
Prescriptions 

Organize
Storage ottoman (For seating also)
Under bed storage
Closet storage
Desk storage
Hangers (Scarf, shoe, skirt, pant, belt)
Bed risers
Cork board or dry erase board
Pins or dry erase markers
Batteries 
Light bulbs 
Tool kit
Sewing kit
Duffle bag
3m hooks 
Bedside storage

Cleaning 
Toilet cleaner
Broom + dust pan
Paper towels 
Wipes 
Hand vacuum
Trash can bags

Decorations 
Full length mirror 
Picture frames
Wall art 
Washi tape

Toiletries 
Shampoo 
Conditioner
Body wash
Hand soap
Shaving cream 
Razors
Deodorant 
Lotion 
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Mouthwash
Floss
Toothbrush holder
Nail clippers 
Tweezers
Tissues
Nail polish + Remover
Feminine products 
Vaseline 
Toiletries bag
Hair dye

Laundry  
Laundry Detergent
Dryer sheets
Bleach pen
Stain stick
Laundry basket or bag
Hamper
Clothing drying rack
Iron and ironing board
Lingerie bag 

Kitchen stuff 
Water bottle 
Coffee maker 
Travel mug
Tea bags
Coffee
Coffee filters
Dishes or paper to simplify
-Plates
-Bowls
-Mugs
-Utensils 
-Cups
Fridge 
Microwave
Hand towels
Sponges
Dish soap
Food storage containers
Chip clips
Snacks to start
Fruit
Granola bars
Freezer meals
Cheese
Yogurt 
Peanut butter
Bread
Cereal/Oatmeal
Little snacks (Goldfish, cheez-its, pretzels...)
Milk
Water pitcher
Ice cube trays

Miscellaneous 
Umbrella 
Rain boots
Sleeping bag
Headphones
Camera + Charger
Phone + Charger
I-pod + Charger + dock + Cord
Flashlight
T.V. 
Fan

Keep With You
Health insurance card
License
Student i.d. 
ATM card
Emergency cash

If Needed or Allowed 
Step stool 
Tent 
Athletic bags 
A few books to read for fun
Duffle bags 
Suitcases
Instruments
Extra seating (bean bag, cube, fluffy chairs)
A few movies/cd's
Incense 
Shower curtains 
Pictures
Floor lamp 
Ear plugs
Bathing suit
Pool/beach towel

Hope this helps ease some stress you may be feeling and I hope you have an awesome year!


No comments:

Post a Comment